Pages

02 April 2011

I love vocal thirds


This weekend Pepita went out of town for a spiritual retreat or something, so I have the house to myself. The first thing I’ve done to take advantage of this was to unplug my headphones and turn up country music to sing along with. I haven’t indulged in country music yet this semester, but it felt appropriate yesterday (and today) for some reason. Mostly I hear American pop music in stores and spanish pop music other places. And choral music in choir, of course.

The past week or so I have finally gotten to enjoy better weather than Tulsa. When I see the midwest’s forecast of today: 40, tomorrow: 79, the next day: 53 and rain, I really appreciate the predictability of Spanish weather. We’ve been having high 60s to mid 70s (gradually increasing daily for at least a week now) and mostly sunny or partly cloudly. Perfect weather for getting sunburned on park benches while reading, or getting sunburned because you left the window above the bed open while taking a siesta…that might have happened yesterday…

Remember how I’m reading one book in English and one in Spanish per month here? Well last month I read Oliver Twist and then El barbero de Sevilla. (It’s a play but it still counts.) (Also I highly recommend both of those.) For my April English book I decided to continue the tradition of books-that-Disney-loosely-based-movies-off-of and checked out The Jungle Books. I like it so far, although it’s already very obvious that Disney told his story writers not to read Kipling’s book (which he did, after he vetoed the original story board that was written by someone who had read the books, as I learned from watching the bonus features on the Special Edition DVD last summer, haha).

I’ve been preoccupied with having spring fever and anticipating class registration coming up this week and it’s been difficult to focus on schoolwork lately. But this happens every year. Hopefully I’ll get over it soon so I can buckle down on research papers and creative projects, get them done, and enjoy the end of the semester relatively stress-free.

In cooking class this week we learned how to make buñuelos! They weren’t as good as the ones we had in Valencia but same idea. And much more economical, I’m sure.

From Dwight to Rascs, I am having a great Saturday morning. Happy weekend to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment