Pages

26 March 2011

Hey, slow down!


…and by that, I mean: How is this semester already halfway over? Nine weeks down, nine to go…

I’m in the middle of a six-day weekend right now (well, I have one class on Monday night but I’m hardly counting it). It’s kind of like a mini Spring Break, just a relaxing little time. So far I haven’t done any school work, oops, but I still have 3 ½ more days soooo no pasa nada.

Last night I heard a little kid ask his mom “¿Para qué?” several times in response to everything she said. I guess kids all over the world know how to irritate their parents with their curiosities.

One thing I do not like about Spain: There is pretty much no such thing as a clearance rack. Maybe it’s better this way; I’m certainly less tempted to buy things at full price. But sometimes I just want to go shopping and be able to buy something without making much of a dent in my wallet.
[Dear Mom, thanks for raising me to be a bargain-hunter. Love, Elizabeth]

Some things I DO like since coming to Spain (these aren’t necessarily spanish things but things I didn’t care for much before)
Oranges! They’re just so delicious here! I’m afraid I’ll miss Spanish oranges when I go back to the US.
Cheesecake. It’s still not my favorite but I am acquiring a taste.
Seafood. Maybe because it’s fresher here? Maybe just because it’s set in front of me at lunchtime more often here. Either way, I’m beginning to really like it.
Cauliflower. Pepita cooks it in some way that makes  it tasty. Seems like magic to me.
Olives. I can eat them plain now.
Non-flavored coffee. I still need milk and sugar but without raspberry or chocolate it’s still good!

In Lorca class (I think I did well on that midterm, but glad it’s over with), the most recent topic has been las vanguardias (avant-garde) literature/art. We read this article called “The Dehumanization of Art” (but in spanish) and one of the things it mentioned was that if you don’t understand avant-garde art, you won’t like it; also, if you don’t like it, the most likely explanation is that you don’t understand it.
now just a second.
For Lent I am reading the Catechism. Twenty pages a day not counting Sundays should get me through it with a day or two to spare. Currently I’m one day behind, but there’s lots of time left today. A great thing it pointed out to me this morning that I have never consciously noticed before is that the creed(s) begin with “I believe” and end with “Amen” which is basically a reiteration of belief. Isn’t that nifty how it comes full circle?
anyway.
I think the Church might be kind of like avant-garde art. When I was in high school I wasn’t really into the Church. I now realize that that was mostly because I didn’t understand it. Now that I know it better, I love it! But I would dare to venture that most of the people in the world who don’t like or don’t agree with the Church don’t have a very good understanding of her. I was just pondering…

Well, here’s to a beautiful Saturday! I’ve already been to the park to sit on a bench in the sun reading El Barbero de Sevilla. :) I hope all of you, my readers, have an equally pleasant day.

No comments:

Post a Comment