Pages

26 February 2011

Whirlwind


Wow, that week went by fast. I’ve been so busy having a great time! So, highlights from the past week:
Last Saturday night some friends and I went to a tetería to talk and sit in a cozy atmosphere for a couple of hours, and then we went to a flamenco show that started at midnight. It was really fun, and we managed to be kind of Spanish and stay out till 2am. I’m so glad the friends I’ve made are like me and don’t make me feel bad about usually wanting to go home relatively early.
Last Sunday night I went to a show called Malgama with my theater class—I didn’t realize this class would include like 10 free shows throughout the semester…bonus! It was a mix of circus and flamenco with a bit of a plot line sprinkled in. Overall entertaining but glad it was free.
Last Monday I was homesick. But I got over it on Tuesday when the sun came out!
There is a retro film festival going on in Granada this week. On Tuesday night some of us went out for crepes and then to a free screening of The Man Who Knew Too Much at the theater at the library.
On Wednesday evening I had my first class at the University of Granada: History of Spanish Film. Basically we just watched a bunch of film clips in class… Not a bad deal, I think. The professor was really nice, too. I think it’ll be a good addition to my studies, even if it makes Mondays and Wednesdays really long as far as classes.
Thursday was heavenly. I had grammar class in the morning, and then I went for a walk in the sunshine around Puerta Real, smiling like an American at all the people and buildings and fountains. That evening I joined UGR’s science department’s choir :) Being a science person isn’t a requirement, thankfully; they just rehearse in the science building, which is only a five minute walk from where I live. Everyone was SO welcoming and super nice. There were 4 of us newbies on Thursday night, so about six of the Spanish people invited us to join them for tapas. I’m making real Spanish friends!! I’ve now been here for just over a month and I still mostly hang out with Americans… I really like all my new friends, but I’m quite excited to add authentic Spanish people to that list too.
Yesterday I was lazy, just read and rested, until the evening when I met some friends to have a double-feature movie night, courtesy of the Retro Back film festival. We saw The Misfits and The Seven Year Itch (I liked the second one better), and we had cake and cappuccino for dinner in between. :) What a wonderful little night.
This morning I went shopping and paseo-ing in the excellent weather with excellent company. This weekend is really going well. Also, Monday is Andalucía Day, so no classes, which means I’m not even half through the weekend yet. ¡Dulce!

No comments:

Post a Comment