Pages

26 January 2011

Jet-lag

I love Spain already! Besides the fact that I haven’t really had a good night’s sleep since Saturday night and I’m exhausted, I’m doing quite well.

Traveling was surreal. When I sat down at the gate to wait for my plane to Dallas in the KC airport, I started wondering what I was doing hopping across the ocean all by myself. The flight to DFW went by really quickly though; I spent most of it reading Ezekiel and looking out the window. The transatlantic flight wasn’t too bad. There were 3 empty seats next to me so I was actually able to lie down to sleep. The London airport was very interesting. I sat in a general waiting area people-watching for about an hour and a half before I could even find out which gate my flight would be at. Once I got there, though, I met another girl from TU who was going to Granada too. ha!
Customs in the Málaga airport was insanely simple: “Hola.” “Hola.” *looks at info page and visa in passport, stamps* “Gracias.” “Gracias.”

¡Málaga!
The program started at the Hotel Puerta Málaga. I wanted to get on the internet to let the fam know I was alive, which I barely achieved…all 115 of us had the same idea, so the internet disconnected itself about every 2 minutes. After a short post on fb I gave up on that. :\
The orientation directors took us for a walk to the commercial center, then I had the best calamari I’ve ever had for dinner, good conversation with 3 other girls in the program, and an extra-long (as in, we sort of got lost along the way) walk home.
I love being able to walk around in nothing heavier than a sweater at 10pm. :)

After a full day of orientation talks, this evening we finally made it to Granada. I met my Spanish grandma (“Pepita”) and 2 of her granddaughters who are something like my age; one could speak English but they said my Spanish was pretty good. Win! Understanding the andalucían accent will take a bit of practice though… I set my room up, Pepita made me a delicious little dinner, and now I am here, worn out, and still kind of overwhelmed, but overall content, and very excited for the rest of this semester.

Buenas noches…

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad your host family is good! I'm sure the girls and "Pepita" will make sure you have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The granddaughters don't live here but they visit sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete